Justine Clarke became the first Australian woman in a wheelchair to compete in the Miss World Australia contest.
The 26-year-old, who competed in the state’s final in Adelaide, suffers a ‘lower leg deformity’ and was keen to be involved with the competition so that she could help to raise funds for Beauty with a Purpose. Justine was keen to help inspire others and spread an empowering message about body positivity.
She said, “I want the catwalk to be a fair and inclusive place for everyone. A wheelchair does not define me or limit me. I can still be strong, feminine and beautiful”.
“For somebody in a wheelchair to be able to compete is a big thing. I really hope it sends a message that no matter what your race, size or disability — whatever makes you different — you are beautiful,” she added.
Miss World Australia’s national director Deborah Miller said Justine’s involvement in the pageant was proof that “beauty comes in all forms”.
“I think Justine is incredibly inspirational, actually, and she really embodies what Miss World is all about,” she said.
Unfortunately, Justine didn’t make it to the next stage of the competition, but she’s planning to continue working with Beauty with a Purpose and Variety, the Children’s Charity, which she hopes will motivate people to make a difference to youngsters’ lives through donations.
Iris Mittenaere walks the runway at the Sherri Hill NYFW Fall 2017 Runway Show
Top 15 Miss Minnesota USA 2017 Halima Aden Covers CR Fashion Book
Halima Aden competed for the title of Miss Minnesota USA back in November, and was the first contestant to ever compete in a hijab. Born in a refugee camp in Kenya, Aden and her family emigrated to America when she was just a child. After recently signing with IMG Models, Aden is already making headlines by popping up on the cover of CR Fashion Book Issue 10.
With styling and fashion from Carine Roitfeld, photography by Mario Sorrenti, and words by Ray Siegel, it is not an issue to be missed.
In Issue 10, Aden tells Carine, “Halima is breaking boundaries of beauty and perception by being herself, I find this incredibly inspiring, and I know she will be an icon. In CR Issue 10, she represents the diversity of Paris, where a mix of global cultures converge.”
Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere poses backstage at the Sherri Hill NYFW Fall 2017 Runway Show during New York Fashion Week at Gotham Hall on February 13, 2017 in New York City.
Designer Sherri Hill (L) and Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere pose backstage at the Sherri Hill NYFW Fall 2017 Runway Show during New York Fashion Week at Gotham Hall on February 13, 2017 in New York City.
Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere prepares backstage
Taylin Biggs and Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere
Miss California USA 2017 India Williams (L) and Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere
Source: Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images North America
1st Runner Up : Masaya Yamagishi (Japan), Mister International 2016 : Paul Iskandar (Lebanon) and 2nd Runner Up : ViniciMister International 2016 : Paul Iskandar (Lebanon) o Modolo (Italy)
Winner : Paul Iskandar (Lebanon)
1st Runner Up : Masaya Yamagishi (Japan)
2nd Runner Up : Vinicio Modolo (Italy)
Chris Veltkamp (Netherlands)
Nguyen Tien Dat (Vietnam)
Kittikun Tansuhas ( Thailand)
Daniel Torres Moreno (Spain)
Mudit Malhotra (India)
Matiss Pastars (Latvia)
James Carne (Australia)
Manoly Diaz (Mexico)
Ivo Cavalcanti (Brazil)
Walfred Crespo (Venezuela)
Josep Kurka (Czech Republic)
Daniel Da Silva (Sri Lanka)
Miguel Mari Guia (Philippines)
Mister Photogenic : Francisco Vergara (Puerto Rico)
Mister Congeniality : James Carne ( Australia)
Best Model Look : Masaya Yamagishi (Japan)
Best National Costume : Rokesh Tandukar (Nepal)
Mister Telegenic : Daniel Da Silva (Sri Lanka)
Mister People’s Choice : Miguel Mari Guia (Philippines)
Mister International 2016 : Paul Iskandar (Lebanon)
Paul Iskandar was born in Paris, France but migrated to Beirut, Lebanon when he was 4 years old. A sports fanatic, he is into basketball, tennis, swimming and fitness. This 24-year-old fitness manager and group exercise instructor hopes to realize his ambition on becoming a lawyer. A very active person, he likes to work a lot to be productive every day. He competed in Lebanon’s Dancing with the Stars.
6 Fun Facts About Miss Universe 2016
Iris Mittenaere from France is Miss Universe 2016! Iris was born in Lille in the Nord Pas de Calais region in northern France. Here are six fun facts about her!
1. She’s pursuing a degree in Dental SurgeryIris is in her fifth year of pursuing a degree in Dental Surgery. As a dental student, she’s passionate about dental care. As Miss Universe, she wants to continue her awareness campaign for dental care and oral hygiene, taking it all around the world.
2. She loves extreme sportsDo you like skydiving, bungee bumping and hang gliding? Iris does! She’s a huge fan of participating in extreme sports. She says tandem skydiving over her region of northern France was an “incredible experience.”
3. She has a talent for cooking French foodIris enjoys cooking French specialties! She says if Miss Universe had a talent portion, her talent would be cooking.
4. She was on Ninja Warrior FranceAs a fan of extreme sports, its not too surprising Iris competed on Ninja Warrior France! However, she says the experience did leave her a little embarrassed. She slipped, fell in the cold water and was eliminated during the first round, but that obviously didn’t keep her down!
5. She’s a Beyoncé fanIris says her favorite song is “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé. She says her favorite movie is Life Is Beautiful by Roberto Benigni.
6. She loves travelingAs Miss Universe France, Iris traveled all around France and the world. In terms of miles or kilometers, Iris says she practically traveled around the world four times during her reign as Miss Universe France.